everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

 

To the moon

So, I hear we're going back to the moon. I find space travel pretty fascinating, and think it would be pretty cool - that is, if it was aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise or one of those Imperial Star Destroyers. But regarding going back to the moon, I have one primary question: Why?

The cost is supposed be roughly $104 billion. Granted, it's over 13 years or so, but still - could we not find a better use for $104 billion than flying back up to the moon and looking around? It reminds me of one of Jerry Seinfeld's bits about the motor vehicle they drove around up there before:
"What are we doing with a car on the moon? You're on the moon - isn't that far enough? There's no more male idea in the history of the universe than 'Let's fly up to the moon and drive around.'"
I'm sure there are good scientific reasons that we should go back to the moon. I probably wouldn't buy any of them, but I'm sure they exist. The thing is, how much more important is that than other problems that exist HERE? I mean, are we going to find something on the moon to cure cancer or AIDS, or to assist the poor and homeless in getting their lives back together, or to stop the seemingly endless onslaught of bad 'reality' television shows upon the American public? Somehow I don't think so.


I would be more supportive, perhaps, if we were going to take some folks up there and leave them there for good. Osama bin Laden, Michael Jackson and the cast of Friends come to mind. But I suspect there's got to be a better use for $104 billion than flying up to the moon. Does this seem unnecessary to anyone else?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?