everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

 

Indescribable Tour

First, let me say that I received my copy of Blue Blood in the mail yesterday. Since I was at the concert all evening, I haven't had a chance to start reading it, but anticipate starting tonight. Expect to hear more about it here in the near future.



It's been a couple of years since I was at a concert. The last two concerts I was at were 2 years ago in Huntsville - Alice Cooper in late September, 2003, and then Jerry Seinfeld a month later on Halloween. Both were excellent, but far different from the worship event last night. We went over to Immanuel Baptist last night to the
Chris Tomlin concert - the Indescribable tour. Chris had Matt Redman and Louie Giglio with him. I can tell you this, I've heard Louie speak before (although not in person), but he was excellent last night. I could've listened to him all night without the music. Here's somewhat of a review of the evening:

Basically, there were 4 parts of the evening, I guess. First, Tomlin and band played 3 songs, then he left and Matt came out and sang 5 songs. After this, Louie came out to speak, and I'd say that may have been the highlight of the night.

Louie spoke about how big God is and how small we are. He used pictures of the universe, many taken by the Hubble, and talked about how it related to us and God. He talked about how many struggle with the idea of life outside of our planet. If the universe is as big as we know it is, how can we assume that life only exists here? Wouldn't the universe all be just wasted space? His take was that perhaps the universe was not created simply as a dwelling place for us. Perhaps it instead was created to show how big and how great and how awesome God is. When you consider how large the universe that we know is, and how many light years it would take to visit parts of it, it's truly humbling. One image showed Earth as simply a very small dot amongst billions of stars. We are small indeed. And God is bigger than we can fathom. He is, indeed, "indescribable" with our human words.

But the most amazing thing about that is this - He knows my name. And your name. Despite how big He is, He cares about us. Louie called it "significant insignificance." Relative to the universe, how could we possibly be significant at all? Yet we are to God. Amazingly, not only does He know us and love us, His love was so great that He stepped out of his "bigness" and into our little, seemingly insignificant, world so that He could demonstrate that love in a way we would never have imagined in a billion light years - the cross.

As I said, I could've listened to Louie all night, but after he ended the music came again. Tomlin and Redman sang together on "The Wonderful Cross", then Tomlin closed out the concert with another 8 or so songs.

I think Chris's song "Indescribable" pretty much sums up the theme of the night - what an amazing and mighty and awesome God we serve. Here are a few of the lyrics:


Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night
None can fathom

Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name
You are amazing God
All powerful, untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God
Incomparable, unchangeable
You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same
You are amazing God

Here's a complete set list for the night:

Chris
Forever
Holy Is The Lord
Famous One

Matt
Blessed Be The Name
Once Again
The Heart of Worship
[song I was unfamiliar with]
Dancing Generation

Louie speaks

Chris & Matt
The Wonderful Cross

Chris
The Way I Was Made
On Our Side
Unchanging
Enough
Indescribable
Your Grace Is Enough
We Fall Down
How Great Is Our God
How Great Thou Art


Comments:
That was a pretty good concert, I saw it the 2nd night of the tour in NJ. Louie was great and, as well, could of listened to him all night. I will be honest, although I enjoy Matt Redman's music, I wasnt too pleased listening to Him in concert, maybe for one reason alone, he did not talk to the crowd.....at all.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?