everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

 

Priorities

I've heard from several sources that Randy Gill sang Derek Webb's song "I Repent" this past weekend at the ZOE conference. Webb's album i see things upside down is one of my favorites of those I've purchased this year. As I consider the thoughts I shared yesterday, and what is most important in life (or at least what should be), it seems appropriate to hear the words of this song again as well.

I repent
(words and music by derek webb)

i repent, i repent of my pursuit of america's dream
i repent, i repent of living like i deserve anything
of my house, my fence, my kids, my wife
in our suburb where we're safe and white
i am wrong and of these things i repent

i repent, i repent of parading my liberty
i repent. i repent of paying for what i get for free
and for the way i believe that i am living right
by trading sins for others that are easier to hide
i am wrong and of these things i repent

i repent judging by a law that even i can't keep
of wearing righteousness like a disguise
to see through the planks in my own eyes

i repent, i repent of trading truth for false unity
i repent, i repent of confusing peace and idolatry
by caring more of what they think than what i know of what we need
by domesticating you until you look just like me
i am wrong and of these things i repent



Morons

In the complete opposite direction, I suppose, you may recall that a year or so ago, Minnesota Timberwolves forward Latrell Sprewell claimed to be insulted by Minnesota's contract extension offer of around $30 million for 3 seasons. Apparently, he didn't think that was enough. He said - and this is a quote - "I've got a family to feed." Yes, he actually said that. "I've got a family to feed." What is he feeding his family that he can't get it done on $10 million a year?

This is not uncommon - professional athletes making ridiculous statements. So if you were wondering who would be the next out-of-touch-with-reality player to say something completely lacking in common sense, have no fear - Marcus Camby has stepped up to the plate.

As you may have heard, NBA Commissioner David Stern is looking to implement a dress code for NBA players in certain situations. The dress code might apply to players during post-game interviews, inactive players sitting on the bench, and possibly, on flights to and from games. It would likely include sports coats and collared shirts, and excludes blue jeans.

You may not believe me, but it's true - Camby actually said this: "I don't see it happening unless every NBA player is given a stipend to buy clothes."

Okay, you can stop laughing. Or crying. That's right; a man who makes MILLIONS of dollars each year wants a few extra bucks to buy clothes because the NBA might possibly institute a dress code.

Living in Huntsville and Little Rock, I guess I've not been aware of this, but evidently food and clothing is outrageously expensive in NBA cities.



So, what are your priorities? What's most important to you?


Comments:
Thanks for sharing the lyrics to Webb's song. I am a bit out of the Christian music loop right now, so I had not heard it. But I have always thought that the Cademon's Call folks were the best group of singers and song-writers Christian music had to offer.

And, thanks for the sidebar link and the comment on my blog. Peace.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?