everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Monday, October 24, 2005

 

SEC football and Ogre Tones

I was going to post something about college football in the SEC yesterday, but wasn't feeling good all day and never got around to it. I realize I said I was ready for basketball and that I was finding fewer reasons to watch, and that's true, but that doesn't include SEC games. SEC football is still the best to watch, and I can't just stop watching it in mid-season. It's like ACC basketball. There's no other conference that compares.

Basically, it was a very good weekend for watching SEC games. It was nice to see Arkansas actually stay in the game at Georgia. I expected a 3 touchdown (minimum) blowout, but they hung in until the end. Last week they forgot to play the 2nd half against Auburn, then they have a chance (albeit very slim, with no timeouts and no passing game) to win at the end in Georgia. You just never know what the Hogs are going to do (well, except for the losing part.)

Also, it was great, as it always is, to see Tennessee and Auburn lose. I feel bad (maybe bad is an overstatement) for the kid from Tennessee who essentially fumbled the game away near the end, setting up Alabama's final drive, but not for the Tennessee fans. And have I mentioned how annoying it is to hear "Rocky Top" over and over again? I really hate that song. They actually played it at least once on Saturday after a first down. Although, I suppose, considering the lack of scoring in the game, there weren't many other opportunities to play it - they had to take what they could get. But that doesn't make it less annoying. And it doesn't make it right.

Alabama may have been playing their's after first downs, too, but I'm just not familiar enough with it to recognize it. Also, it could be interesting to watch the Alabama-Auburn game this year. Alabama's kicker has kicked the game-winning field goal 2 weeks in a row, and Auburn missed five - yes, FIVE - field goals in their loss to LSU Saturday night. AU fans better hope it doesn't come down to the kicking game on November 19th.



One more album I love -
King's X new disc Ogre Tones. I've been a big King's X fan since around 1990 when Faith Hope Love came out. I've been a little disappointed in their last couple of albums, but I think with this one I can say they're officially "back". I have always loved the vocals of both Ty Tabor and Doug Pinnick. They're very different, and yet they're great together. It's no Gretchen... but it's very good nonetheless.

Track List:
1. Alone
2. Stay
3. Hurricane
4. Fly
5. If
6. Bebop
7. Honesty

8. Open My Eyes
9. Freedom
10. Get Away
11. Sooner Or Later
12. Mudd
13. Goldilox (Reprise)
14. Bam




Who's #1?

I heard that The Sporting News had placed Michigan State atop their preseason basketball poll instead of Duke, although I have not yet verified this. Yes, I'm aware that MSU is the team that knocked Duke out of the tournament last year, and has a lot of players back, too. But The Sporting News is simply wrong. And they should be removed from circulation immediately.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?