everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

 

Farewell

In 1986, I bought a cassette tape that would, in a way, change my life. Maybe that's an overstatement, but it at least changed my music library, which is a big part of my life. I went to The Bible House bookstore in Searcy, Arkansas, during my sophomore year in college, and purchased the tape Back To The Street by a band called Petra.

I was new to the "Contemporary Christian Music" scene, this being only my second purchase (my first being The Big Picture by Michael W. Smith). Of course, "CCM" was nothing like it is today, or even like it would become in just a few more years. It has grown by leaps and bounds in both quality and popularity. But if you look at popular rock bands of the present day who've started (or still remain) in the CCM world - Audio Adrenaline, Third Day, Switchfoot, Kutless, Pillar, and many others - Petra is the one considered by most as having "started it all." They were the pioneers who made bands like these possible.

I wore out my copy of Back To The Street, then wore out a copy of Captured In Time and Space, a live album recorded prior to ...Street. The following year, This Means War! was released and I was officially a die-hard Petra fan. In the years to come, I would get the opportunity to see them live 4 times, starting in March of 1990 and the final time in August of 1992.

The classic Petra lineup for me - and the one I saw live 4 times - was the one of the late 80's and early 90's. John Schiltt (vocals), Bob Hartman (guitar), Ronnie Cates (bass), John Lawry (keyboards) and Louie Weaver (drums). That group of guys will always be Petra to me, even though I also have always loved Greg X. Volz's voice as well on the early stuff.

Since the early 90's, their music's popularity has faded, as newer (and much younger) bands have come along and taken over as the most popular CCM rock bands for periods of time. And they've not had any newer discs that reached the popularity of Beyond Belief (1990) or Unseen Power (1991). But they have continued to have a few gems here and there, including some pretty good praise music. And the recent Jekyll and Hyde disc a couple of years ago was their best since 1991.

Earlier this year, it was announced by founder Bob Hartman that the band would officially retire. They would be recording a live album (and DVD) to be released in late 2005 (early 2006 for the DVD). It would be titled Farewell and would contain performances not only by the current lineup, but include past members as well (which included John Lawry and Greg X. Volz).

It was released yesterday and it is really outstanding. Not necessarily in quality, but to get the opportunity to hear them live again brings back a lot of great memories. I still remember "He Came, He Saw, He Conquered" and "Mine Field" from a concert in Jackson, MS, and the the Beyond Belief tour in Nashville, TN, with "I Am On The Rock" opening up one of the best concerts I've ever seen. And I'll always remember "It Is Finished" in Hot Springs, AR, the last time I saw them.

As is always the case when a favorite band or artist retires and ceases to make new music, it makes me a little sad. But at the same time, there comes a time when you have to leave the stage, and Petra's time has come. They will stop doing what they've done for 33 years, but I'm certainly glad they did it for that long and that I could be a part of it.


Here's the track list:

  • All About Who You Know
  • Dance
  • Amazing Grace
  • Test Of Time
  • Creed
  • Right Place
  • Rock Medley: Sight Unseen/It Is Finished/Think Twice/I Am On The Rock/Midnight Oil/Mine Field/This Means War/It Is Finished (reprise)
  • Jekyll & Hyde
  • Acoustic Set: Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows/Road To Zion/More Power To Ya/For Annie/No Doubt/The Coloring Song/Love (featuring Greg X Volz)
  • Grave Robber
  • Keyboard Solo (featuring John Lawry)
  • Beyond Belief
  • Guitar Solo (featuring Bob Hartman)
  • He Came, He Saw, He Conquered

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?