everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

 

Mockingbird, part 1

Saw this article on Derek Webb's website. I've become a big Webb fan this year, and as you'll soon see, his I see things upside down disc will be at or near the top of my year end list. It was full of thought-provoking songs, most of which will make one feel a little uncomfortable. Looks like his new album will be more of the same, which I think we all could use. Check it out:

Derek Webb sure to raise eyebrows

Nashville, TN - November 7, 2005 - Critically acclaimed singer/songwriter Derek Webb is ready to raise eyebrows and get people talking with his new CD, Mockingbird, his most controversial project to date. This is his third recording with INO Records and releases on December 26th, following his 2003 release She Must And Shall Go Free and 2004's I See Things Upside Down.

Mockingbird is sure to get people talking and even make some people uncomfortable, which is exactly what Webb wants. Writing and singing about concerns of social justice, poverty, war and politics, Mockingbird will immediately impact the listener with its raw and profound lyrics and get tongues wagging on both sides of the fence. Sung in the folk stylings for which Webb is well known, these new songs are easy on the ears yet pull at the heart and mind with introspective, yet provocative, lyrics.

Webb hopes people will be open to what he shares on the highly anticipated project. For those who aren't sure how their views line up with his own, all he's asking is that they give him a chance. "I'm not trying to push buttons or make people upset. I'm just trying to be as honest as I can. Even if people don't agree, I hope they'll listen. I just want to get the dialogue started."

"I think Derek has delivered his best record to date," states Jeff Moseley, President, INO Records. "I am a huge fan of the way he challenges our suppositions and makes us take a new look at the cultural trappings of Christianity. Mockingbird is a watershed recording that will raise eyebrows and evoke passionate conversation. I am proud to work with an artist that does not shy away from examining the 'sacred cows' through the lens of Jesus' teachings."

Taking very seriously his role as an artist and social advocate, Webb comments, "I need to tune my ears to hear what is going on in the world. I need to involve myself in what's happening in the world, just as a human being, even if it's hard or time consuming."

Webb is also quick to point out, "We have a history of not loving people well. We live in a country that was founded on genocide against Native Americans. We haven't loved well and a lot of people don't like Americans. We need to own up to some responsibility there, we need to look at why, and we need to let that inform how we're making decisions for the future."

Concerning the political aspect of Mockingbird, he exclaims, "If you look, Jesus doesn't go straight down one party line. We try to fit Him in our western politics, but He wouldn't land on either side." Living in the middle is something Webb sees Jesus model and to let go of our idea that "Christian" and "Republican" go hand in hand. "We, too, have to be willing to move in and out of political systems and parties if we're going to follow Him."

These revealing thoughts are found in "A New Law" where Webb gets right to the heart of the matter: Don't teach me about politics and government, just tell me who to vote for / Don't teach me about truth and beauty, just label my music / Don't teach me about moderation and liberty, I prefer a shot of grape juice / Don't teach me how to live like a free man, just give me a new law / I don't wanna know if the answers aren't easy, so just bring it down from the mountain to me / I want a new law

About being the one to start these conversations in Christian circles, Webb remarks honestly, "I'm not sure I'm the best one to do it, but it's not like people are lining up for this particular job. And we need to start this dialogue yesterday about how to love people better. Let's stop arguing and name calling, let's find something to commend about one another and then start from that place of unity."

People are bound to start dialoguing upon hearing his lyrics. A song that demonstrates this is "A King & A Kingdom," in which Webb explains spiritual allegiance trumps any sort of nationalism: There are two great lies that I've heard: the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die / and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican, and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him.

Including a monologue from a Martin Luther King speech in the song "My Enemies Are Men Like Me," Webb shares: Peace by way of war is like purity by way of fornication / It's like telling someone murder is wrong and then showing them by way of execution.

The mockingbird's unique ability to learn and mimic songs from other birds is why this particular title was chosen for Webb's third solo project. Webb shares, "I hope to be the same way, imitating the songs of Jesus and others about how to love not only our neighbors, but also our enemies."

Musically, the creation of Mockingbird came from deep study of The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour and is woven throughout the entire project. Webb explains, "The last record was more experimental and meant to dismantle future expectations. On Mockingbird we felt completely free artistically. This should be a fascinating record for headphones."

Playing over 150 shows a year, Webb is currently on the road with wife and fellow artist Sandra McCracken and friend John Davis (formerly of Superdrag) and already sharing a few of his new songs with the audience, already receiving much acclaim from concertgoers.

As of October 11th, fans are now able to take home the Derek Webb "live" experience with the release of his first-ever live DVD, How To Kill And Be Killed. The DVD features live concert footage and unique and extensive behind-the-scenes interviews.

For the most updated information and tour dates, please visit
www.derekwebb.com and www.inorecords.com.

Mockingbird song listing: *
  • Mockingbird
  • A New Law
  • A King & A Kingdom
  • Zeros & Ones
  • I Hate Everything (But You)
  • Rich Young Ruler
  • A Consistent Ethic Of Human Life
  • My Enemies Are Men Like Me
  • In God We Trust
  • Please, Before I Go
  • Love Is Not Against The Law
    *Not final song order
  • I can't wait. I will probably post more about it, perhaps in some type of review, in early January.



    What kind of a name is Poon?

    I remember seeing this when it first appeared on theonion.com. For some reason, I was reminded of it today and searched the archives. It still cracks me up. Reminds me of some friends of mine ... and myself as well.

    Comments: Post a Comment



    << Home

    Archives

    May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?