everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

 

Counting the cost

One of my goals for 2006 is to get our finances in order. We started visiting The Church at Rock Creek this past Sunday and Mark Evans was just starting a series on Financial Freedom, which was good timing. One of the things I've become disgusted about is my desire for "stuff". I've spent up too much money on things I want but don't need. I realize the good I could be doing with that money instead of spending it on myself and I have to feel Jesus is probably even more disgusted. I think it's hard in this country to avoid the temptation to buy more "stuff" but just because the tempatation is there doesn't mean I must give in to it. Maybe it's time to watch Madame Blueberry again.

A few years ago we went through
Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. One of the things Dave recommends is paying cash for everything, even cars and homes. I was reminded of his advice when I read a story the other night. I'm reading Rob Bell's book Velvet Elvis : Repainting the Christian Faith right now, and he tells the following story.

I was traveling in Turkey awhile back and kept noticing that a large number of the homes there seemed unfinished. Piles of wood and brick beside the house, half a foundation built construction equipment everywhere. It looked like a lot of homes had been started and then the workers went to lunch . . . for a year. I asked my friend, who has spent a lot of time in Turkey, about it. He said the reason is that the Muslim culture doesn't allow for financial debt, so people only build with cash. They work for a while, run out of money, save up, keep working, and eventually get the house done, which they own, debt-free. I was struck with how different Western culture would be if we had a similar aversion to debt. How many people do we know who are crippled with financial debt? Having less debt is a better way to live.
I'm not sure leaving a house half-completed is a good idea - Jesus words in Luke 14 come to mind:
Is there anyone here who, planning to build a new house, doesn't first sit down and figure the cost so you'll know if you can complete it? (The Message)
However, the idea of avoiding debt and only buying things you can pay for is obviously the ideal plan. It seems that sometimes those of other faiths do a better job living out some of the principals we find in scripture than Christians do. Sounds to me like this is one case where at least some Muslims may be doing a better job of financial management than most American Christians are.




More on College Basketball

Found this quote
here and thought it was pretty funny.

Duke went to Wake Forest and routed the #23 Deacons. JJ Redick had 32 points for the Blue Devils, who are now one of only three remaining unbeaten teams. I'd like to hate on Duke, but I just can't since I have reassurances from Coach K and American Express that he's not just teaching the Dukies how to be better basketball players, but better people as well.
UConn got back on the winning track last night, after having a rough week last week. I thought having the point guard back was supposed to make them better, but last week they went 1-1, and were one shot away from 0-2. Both against unranked teams, by the way. However, sometimes getting a player back after an absence disrupts for a few games before everyone gets used to it. Although Duke seemed to have no problem with DeMarcus Nelson back in their blowout of (ranked) Wake Forest Sunday night.

Kentucky dropped out of the polls this week after the embarrassing loss to Kansas Saturday. Kentucky had been ranked for 88 consecutive weeks - the second longest streak behind Duke's 176 weeks - but now that's over. If they don't pick it up soon, they may be working on a streak of weeks unranked. I suspect Morris coming back will help. I don't think he can make them look worse than they did Saturday.

Duke and Maryland renew their rivalry tomorrow night in Cameron. Duke should be ashamed that they've lost 3 in a row to Maryland. They lost in the ACC tournament in 2004, then lost both regular season games last year. They should be ashamed because they were the better team both years - and by quite a bit. I suspect Maryland's streak will end tomorrow night and I expect Duke to win easily. I also believe they'll go to College Park next month and do it again.

Speaking of Duke, there's an article here on J.J. Redick and Gonzaga's Adam Morrison in regards to who will be the player of the year in college basketball. I have an opinion at this point, but there's more basketball to be played, so I'll wait and comment later in the year - maybe late February.



Bumper Sticker

A friend of mine was telling me about a bumper sticker he saw recently. He said he drove up behind a car and saw this:

Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
Classic.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?