everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Friday, January 13, 2006

 

The Da Vinci Code movie

All of the media coverage and controversey that surrounded Dan Brown's novel The Da Vinci Code will be resurrected before long when Ron Howard's movie based on the book is released in May. I thought the book was okay - though it seemed more like Dan Brown just wrote some lectures about what he believes and then created some characters to say what he wrote. Anyway, I will likely see the movie after it hits DVD, mainly because so many others will be seeing it and talking about it, and I'd like to be a part of the discussion.

On his blog a few days ago, John Alan Turner writes about the book, the movie and his own book being released this spring, which is a response to the theories espoused by Brown and others. In his post (which you can read here) he basically says that Christians get all jacked up about movies like Passion and Narnia, but what will we do about movies like The Da Vinci Code? Will we be as ready to have meaningful conversations with unbelievers about a movie like this as we were with the others?

I personally hope it's not one of these situations where people are boycotting the movie, picketing theaters, making stupid comments in the press, etc. In other words, I hope people will try to have something relevant to say instead of a bunch of finger-pointing and condemnation. (Think The Last Temptation of Christ.)

I think Christians often miss chances to encourage others to see important movies that have themes that could (and should) be discussed from a Christian worldview. Movies like Hotel Rwanda and Crash in recent years come to mind. Hopefully, we will not miss the opportunity to contribute something important to the Da Vinci Code discussion that will be reignited by this movie's release.



Duke Hating

College basketball fans everywhere love to hate Duke. As a Duke fan, this doesn't really bother me. I agree with many that certain media types (especially those named Vitale) spend too much time praising and hyping the Duke program. I wish they'd shutup, too.

So, it also doesn't bother me to see things like these. Actually, I think they're funny, too.

There was Maryland Nearly Kills Me, after the Duke-Maryland game Wednesday. I liked this one a lot. My favorite line:
9:43 - Vitale gets his excited voice on and screams, "That's why they're uno number one, baby!" three times in a row. I begin to contemplate suicide.

And I saw the article
More reason to hate Duke the other day. A few of the comments I thought were humorous:

"Krzyzewski was channeling John Wooden now, and the conduit for his new self was Shane Battier, the consummate student-athlete, everybody's All-American, the anti-Laettner."

"They won a national title in 2001. Krzyzewski wrote books on leadership. It was enough to make everyone sick. A national Duke love-in nearly ensued. But hotter heads prevailed, and hate ruled the day."

"Then along came Redick, this 6-foot-4 shooter from Roanoke with an undying love for all things Duke. He's all heart and guts and clutch shots. He's like Chris Collins, only with talent."
In other Duke news, it appears DeMarcus Nelson has a bone bruise in his right ankle. So, it's not the same injury as before - which has healed - but he is listed as doubtful for this weekend's game with Clemson. How long he'll be out, I have not seen yet, but sounds like he might be back soon if he's "doubtful" for the weekend.

Comments:
Crash, in my opinion, had much more to say to Christians than did "Narnia" or "The Passion". And "The Last Temptation of Christ" was, in my opinion, the best Jesus movie that has been made (that's including "Happy, Hippy Jesus" from MATTHEW). Hopefully, Christians will not picket "The Da Vinci Code", but I am not too optimistic. I'm sure that there will be some picketing Christians, and that the media will latch onto their story, blow it out of porportion, and embarrass the rest of us who just want to see a good movie.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?