everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

 

End of the road

I began listening to Audio Adrenaline when their first disc came out in the early 90's. I saw them in concert three times, I believe - once with Geoff Moore & the Distance, later with dc Talk, and finally with Steven Curtis Chapman. They always put on a good show. I met Mark Stuart and Will McGinness after the show with Geoff Moore in Hot Springs, AR, and I continued to listen to their music through the years (although I haven't heard their latest).

However, it appears that the end of the road is near. According to CMSpin, the band is soon calling it a day. Not surprisingly, Stuart's voice has had about all it can take, and that is at least part of the decision. I figure most bands have a small time frame for success, and then other bands move into the spotlight. I think Audio A's spotlight time has been over for a while anyway, and so it's not necessarily a bad thing to move on. But they put out some good stuff during their time and I'm glad they did. My favorite songs, I'd say, are probably "Memoir" (Bloom), "Some Kind of Zombie" (Some Kind of Zombie), and "My God" (Audio Adrenaline). They'll be putting out one final disc, Adios, later this year.



Duke women hammer Tennessee

I've made no secret about my dislike of Tennessee. Seeing their football team fail to make a bowl was the highlight of the college football season for me. I know that sounds harsh, but I think it started with a friend from Memphis in college who was a big time Vols fan. The
Clint Stoerner incident in 98 didn't help.

It's also obvious of my love for Duke basketball. True, it's primarily the men's team, but I've become a big fan of
Coach G and the women's team in recent years as well, as they have become a perennial top 10 team and been to several final fours.

So, I watched the much-hyped women's game last night between #1 Tennessee and #2 Duke on ESPN last night. The game was played at Cameron Indoor Stadium, and the short version is this - the Lady Devils embarrassed the Lady Vols. They led by 28 points at one point in the 2nd half, finishing with a
75-53 win. Duke outplayed Tennessee in pretty much every area of the game. Duke's women have had some good seasons over the last 7 years, but I think this might just be their year. Next up is a game at Clemson, and then a UNC team that beat them 3 times last year. Sunday, when they come to Cameron, I expect Duke to exact a little revenge for last season.



Speaking of the Vols...

After another failure to win a Super Bowl by former Vols quarterback Peyton Manning (or even get to a Super Bowl, for that matter), I heard it suggested last week - in jest, of course - that maybe the Colts should consider bringing in Tee Martin as quarterback. As you may recall, Martin was the Vols quarterback the year after Manning graduated. It was also that season that the Vols won the national championship. Bring in Tee Martin... that just cracks me up.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?