everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Friday, January 27, 2006

 

In the land down under

The average sports fan probably is unaware of this, but the 2006 Australian Open is almost over. Sure, some may have noticed it on ESPN2 late in the evenings as they scolled through the program guide. But for the most part, nobody in America really cares. The NFL playoffs are in progress, and the beginning of the conference season has begun in the college basketball world (not to mention the NBA and NHL - if anyone still cares), so there's plenty of other sporting events to watch besides tennis.

This is part of the reason I consider the Australian as "the grand slam that doesn't matter." Not that it doesn't matter to those participating, or to tennis fans (including myself), but to the everyday sports fan, it's not high on the list. Other grands slams come at more favorable times of the year. True, the French takes place during the NBA playoffs and it's usually a couple of South Americans or Spaniards playing in the men's final, which limits interest in America as well. But it still gets more attention than the Australian, probably because it's summer in the U.S. and people are playing more than they are in January. Nothing is really going on during Wimbledon except regular season baseball (zzz...) and golf (zzzzzzz...), plus it's got the whole tradition thing going for it. And the U.S. Open, while taking place early during football season, does happen here in America, and also plays at night, too, so it gets a lot of air time and press. Plus, the rowdy American crowd makes it more entertaining, too. But the Australian sometimes goes by without much notice.

American tennis fans often remember their top players success at other grand slams. People like Connors, McEnroe, Sampras, Agassi - you remember how many times they won Wimbledon or the U.S. Open. Usually you can remember how many times they won the French, too, but that's primarily because the number is usually zero or a number very close to zero (again, Europeans and South Americans tend to dominate there).

Even as a tennis fan, I didn't realize the Australian had started for a couple of days this year. Venus Williams was already out of the tournament, and Serena Williams and Andy Roddick would be gone shortly thereafter. I haven't watched that much of it, mainly because of being busy with various things the past two weeks and of course, college basketball.

I did see a little bit of a Martina Hingis match, I believe in the third or fourth round. It was nice to see her back. I always liked her and was glad to see her playing again, and doing quite well, also, reaching the quarterfinals. I watched some of Justine Henin-Hardenne and Maria Sharapova - the only match I've really watched more than a few games of so far.

I will likely watch the women's final tonight between Henin-Hardenne and Amelie Mauresmo. It should be a good match. The men's final I will likely not watch. Roger Federer - who may very well be the best player ever by the time he's done - is playing a guy I've never heard of. I'll probably keep an eye on it, and if it gets interesting, I'll stay with it. But I don't see that happening. I would expect Federer in no more than four sets.



College basketball this week

I said a couple weeks ago that I wasn't sure how good Florida really was since they hadn't played anybody. After rising to #2 in the polls, they've now lost two in a row. First, at Tennessee, who appears to be having a good year and isn't necessarily a bad loss. Then a couple of days ago at unranked South Carolina, who I know less about than I do Florida, but that didn't look like a good loss. So, I think Florida is not likely a top 5 team - maybe not a top 10 team - but I'm still guessing a little. I'll have to try and watch them soon. They play Kentucky in a week or two, and I'm sure that will be on ESPN prime time, so I'll probably check them out then.

Speaking of Kentucky, guard Patrick Sparks made Gregg Doyel's least improved players list. Actually, he didn't just make the list - he was #1 on the list.

One quote from Insomiac's Lounge worth repeating:

The Big East is easily the strongest conference in the country this year. Although that isn't quite as impressive of a feat when you have 50 teams in your conference.
I took my daughter to basketball practice last night during the Duke-Virginia Tech game, which Duke won rather easily 80-67. I had recorded it, and so I watched the first half starting at about 10pm last night, but fell asleep early in the second half, so I didn't see the whole game. I understand I missed Lee Melchionni being kicked in the face by a Tech player (who was susequently ejected.)

It appeared Duke rebounded pretty rather well from the Georgetown loss, especially Shelden Williams, who ended the game with 24 points (shooting 64%) and 15 rebounds. J.J. also added 24 points, and the game saw the second return of DeMarcus Nelson, this time coming back after a bone bruise. If Nelson can remain healthy this time, Duke should be a better team in March than they have been so far - and they've been pretty good so far.



Vinsanity

One of the things I love about America is the professional athletes we have to entertain us. No, no - not with their talents on the field or court. Rather, with their stupid comments. They're so ridiculous at times, it's impossible not to laugh at them.

Now, I've always thought Vince Carter was a moron. (After all, he played at UNC.) But this week he really reached another level with his comments about Kobe Bryant's 81-point game earlier in the week. Vince actually said:

"The only bad thing about it is that younger kids, whose minds are easily warped, are going to think, 'Ohhh! I am going to go out there and do it instead of (honoring) the team concept first. That is what is missing in the game, guys understanding how to play as a team."
Which I find ridiculous because:

Last season, Carter ranked just behind Bryant in shots attempted per game (Bryant took 20.1 shots per game, while Carter took 20.0). And Carter is still among the league leaders in that category this year at 19.0 shots per game, although he's well behind Bryant, who leads the NBA at 27.7 shots per contest.
Apparently Vince has become a team player when we weren't looking. Thanks for the laugh, Vince.

Comments:
Left a comment for you on Phil's blog the other day (Phil & I go to church together and are good friends), but I don't think you saw it. I'm Daren Stanley from back in your Harding Academy days. I made a crack on Phil's blog about you making me a favorites tape. Email me if you get a chance. darenandchristy@msn.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?