everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Sunday, February 26, 2006

 

Barney

In all of television, I would have to say the The Andy Griffith Show is probably #1 on my favorite shows list. I am a huge fan of Seinfeld, but even it ranks #2 behind Andy and Barney. And so I was saddened by the news this weekend that Don Knotts had passed. He was the "Kramer" of that show - the one that got the most laughs and the favorite character of most who watched the show.

Can you imagine if Kramer had left Seinfeld in the middle of the series? The show would have died pretty fast, I think. That's what happened to The Andy Griffith Show when Don left after 5 seasons. The show was never the same after he left. And comedy is never the same when one of it's best performers leaves us. Barney will be missed.

I've been hearing more of Don recently as I've been watching some videos created by Max Lucado recently with my kids. They're about a worm named Hermie and his pal, Wormie. Tim Conway is the actor behind Hermie's voice, and Knotts is the voice behind his friend Wormie. These short films are a lot of fun, too.

I'd also like to mention Joey Fann's website at BarneyFife.com. I met Joey a few years ago as I began attending Twickenham Church of Christ in Huntsville, Alabama, when we lived over there. Joey is a member there and had produced a series of Bible studies based on The Andy Griffith Show, and also this website. It's a great site and I highly recommend visiting and checking it out.



Also of note was the passing of Darren McGavin, star of the short-lived 70's television show Kolchak: The Night Stalker - which I remember watching as a kid and always liked - and also star of one of my favorite Christmas movies, A Christmas Story. I love that movie, and McGavin is a big reason, as he was just oustanding it it.

Comments:
First Duke, now Andy and Barn too. We must be twins separated at birth or something.

Stop by my blog and leave your favorite "Barneyism" or Barney memory if you like. I emailed Joey after I heard--I can't think of TAGS without thinking of him too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?