everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Monday, February 27, 2006

 

A few new books

I'm way behind in my reading. I love to read, and would like to read at least 2 or 3 books a month, but have only finished a couple so far this year. One thing is true, however - I generally continue to buy books faster than I can read books. Therefore, it's not too surprising that I obtained a few new books over the last week, all of which I'm excited about reading in the near future (i.e. in the coming years).

First, I won a copy of To Hate Like This Is to Be Happy Forever : A Thoroughly Obsessive, Intermittently Uplifting, and Occasionally Unbiased Account of the Duke-North Carolina Basketball Rivalry by Will Blythe on eBay. I didn't want to pay full price because I don't know enough about it yet, but managed a cheap copy on eBay (which was great for a newly released book.) From what I understand, Blythe is, like Art Chansky (author of Blue Blood), a UNC graduate, and therefore I'm a little cautious about reading another book on the Duke-UNC rivalry from a UNC grad. However, no matter what bias may (or may not) lie within the pages, I suspect it will be an enteraining book nevertheless. Plus, from the synopsis' I've seen, it is not (like Chansky's book) strictly a book about the Duke-UNC rivalry, but also to some degree about his family (especailly his father) and his love for college basketball (and more specifically, UNC basketball). I anticipate a good read here.

Next is the much-anticipated (by me, at least) Last Dance: Behind the Scenes at the Final Four by John Feinstein. I've loved the Feinstein books I've read, especially about basketball (including The Last Amateurs about Patriot League basketball, and A March To Madness about ACC basketball). It's unfortunate that the book was written during the 2005 Final Four when UNC won, instead of, say, 2001. Nevertheless, I'm excited and anxious to get started on this soon. The NCAA tournament is the greatest sporting event in the world as far as I'm concerned, and the Final Four is the culmination of the basketball season. Some would argue that the first weekend of the tournament - when the teams are whittled down from 65 to 16 - is more exciting, and, on the whole, that may very well be true. But the last weekend is indeed "the last dance" and when your team is there (like Duke has been every other year on average for the last 20), nothing is more exciting. Feinstein's take on the weekend and all involved will likely be as entertaining for college basketball fans as anything else he's written. I read A March To Madness during March a couple of years ago, so I may just have to start this one as I watch the March Madness action this year.

Finally, a new book by Don Miller. I loved reading Blue Like Jazz and Searching For God Knows What a couple of years ago, so I suspect his newest will also be an excellent read. This book is titled To Own a Dragon: Reflections On Growing Up Without A Father, and authored by Miller and John MacMurray (who Miller describes as the man who taught him the things his dad never did.) While I did not grow up without a father, I still look forward to the benefit of Miller's insights that will be important to me in developing my spiritual life as well as growing as a father myself. I will try to post some from this book as I begin reading through it.

A couple of interesting quotes about Miller's book:

Don writes with candid humor and unembarrassed honesty. He rips himself open. This book sings to those who have felt responsible for their father's demons. The truth is our real father is perfect in everyway, especially in his love for us. Thanks Don and John. This book spoke to a place deep inside of me.
- Jeff Foxworthy, comedian
Donald Miller is such a gifted writer. In the span of two paragraphs he can have you doubled over in laughter, and then on the brink of tears. His honesty in To Own a Dragon can be all at once brutal and refreshing if that's possible. If you couldn't get enough of Donald's style in Blue Like Jazz or Searching for God Knows What, wait until you see what he's done with John MacMurray in To Own a Dragon. They shoot from the hip and from the heart ... and don't miss.
- Ernie Johnson, studio host for NBA on TNT
I look forward to them all.

Comments:
Greg--

Do you have this one yet? I grew up reading Brill's columns in the Roanoke Times and I'm hoping this one will show up on Father's Day or my birthday soon.

BTW I caught a couple episodes of "Knight School" and really enjoyed them. Like you, I like Bobby Knight despite his temper--I appreciate a straight shooter (I like John McEnroe as well for a lot of the same reasons).

I finally read Blue Like Jazz recently and loved it. I'll have to check out these other titles as well.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?