everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Monday, February 06, 2006

 

Not so super

Well, I watched the Super Bowl last night. For some reason, I was wanting the Steelers to win. Probably because of Jerome Bettis. I just wanted him to win one. And I like Cowher, too. So, I was happy about the outcome.

As for the game, it wasn't one of the better ones in recent years, and the officiating was called into question - as has been common during the playoffs - but it was worth watching. The commercials have been getting as much hype as the games in recent years, but usually falls well short of expectations. This year was no exception. There were a few I liked, the FedEx with the cavemen and the Bud Light with the bears chasing the campers being my favorites (at least of what I can recall at this time.) Also, the monkeys in the Careerbuilder commercial were good as they usually are. And as Tony Kornheiser noted on PTI today, "Monkeys are gold."



Duke and officials

The "Duke gets all the calls" controversy has been revived this past week. After close wins against Boston College and Florida State, officiating in both games was questioned due to supposedly bad calls. Whether or not these calls affected the outcome is unknown, but the Duke-haters will surely affirm that they did. They will, however, conveniently ignore bad calls in favor of BC or FSU.

Found this very good article detailing some of the so-called controversy (from a different point of view), starting back with Billy Packer's comments at the 2001 Final Four. Now, I've not yet commented on my dislike of Billy Packer on this blog (which I will no doubt do next month as we're forced to listen to this arrogant windbag throughout the NCAA Tournament), but allow me to simply say - I don't care for him. Anyway, the article is a bit long, but worth reading, and makes some very good points that you won't hear on ESPN from idiots like Doug Gottlieb and Digger Phelps. Brian Dilsheimer also has some good points regarding this in this post.



Speaking of Duke basketball, there's an excellent article in TSN about J.J. Redick.

And I'll have some comments on the first Duke-Carolina game of the year tomorrow. This is actually a big game for Duke. Besides just being the rivalary game that it is, it would be a big win because, including this visit to Chapel Hill, they still have 4 conference road games left, and may need to win most of them to stay in front of NC State in the ACC.



Brokeback To The Future

Mark Elrod posted this on his blog. This cracked me up and you have to see it.

Click here


Comments:
Nice re-edit on Back to the Future. Have you seen the re-edited trailer for The Shining? It's a classic.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?