everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Thursday, February 09, 2006

 

Winter Olympics

Just found out last night that the Winter Olympics start tomorrow. I'd completely missed that, and now that I know, it changes my life in no way whatsoever. I will likely watch the same amount of Olympic coverage as I would have if they were not being televised.

I heard a local radio show co-host mention that the Winter Olympics would be much more interesting if they released some grizzly bears at the games. Now that would probably get them some ratings, and I'd definitely tune in for that.

Here's a story from The Onion about the upcoming games:

Americans Disappointed To Learn Olympics Will Be Televised

NEW YORK — Although American citizens are proud of the athletes representing their country at the Turin Olympics and wish their team the best of luck, their patriotism does not translate into a desire to actually watch the events, according to informal studies conducted by NBC, the network that will televise this year's Winter Games. "It's important to almost 100 percent of the viewers of NBC, MSNBC, and our partner networks that Team USA does well, especially in high-profile sports such as hockey, figure skating, and skiing," said NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol, whose network will provide 416 hours of coverage to as many as five times that number of people. "However, almost all those we spoke to said that they would be perfectly satisfied to see highlights and scores during commercial breaks on Law & Order, Fear Factor, and Late Night With Conan O'Brien." Although Ebersol admitted that the estimated numbers were low compared to the legendary Winter Games of the 1980s, he said they were almost double those from the 1998 Olympics in Nagano.
It reminds me of a previous Onion headline:

Several Gearing Up For 2006 Winter Olympics
I think that about says it all.



Bilas on Duke and the officials

One last comment on the "controversy" regarding officiating at Duke games, this from Jay Bilas:

I listen respectfully to all reasonable people, and I do so with an open mind. However, I am growing weary of the illogical and unsupportable "Duke gets the calls" discussion.

The "no-calls" at the end of Duke's close games against Boston College and Florida State have spawned another specious debate about whether Mike Krzyzewski's team gets special treatment from officials. The last time I recall this discussion was when Duke won the 2001 National Championship over Arizona, and a play made by Jason Williams was reviewed about as closely as the Zapruder film.

It is perfectly reasonable to question whether a particular call was correct. I believe that the officials missed a foul when Tyrese Rice drove to the basket on Shelden Williams at the end of the Boston College game. But to suggest that the no-call was part of some loose plot to give Duke a leg up is absurd and insulting to fair-minded people.
I may actually end up saying more at some point, if this nonsense continues, but I thought that Jay's comments were a good way to end it for now.

Well, okay, maybe one more article.

Comments:
It's like I used to tell the soccer players I coached (did I ever tell you that I was the "Coach K" of Huntsville Under-10 youth soccer?)--you've got to play well enough that the refs don't matter.

Even if the Dookies do occasionally get a favorable call (which, as you and these articles point out, has been way overblown), you still have to shut down J.J. and Shelden and make your shots (especially your free throws).

But I suppose we'll have to listen to this mantra all the way to Indy--oh well, small price to pay for National Title #4 (we hope!).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?