everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Saturday, March 25, 2006

 

Dance : day six

Minneapolis

Boston College was my only hope, as an ACC fan. I thought they had it done against Villanova, but were on the short end of a couple of really bad calls late in regulation. The first one has already left my mind, but the second was a traveling call on Dudley in which a Villnova player tied him up and Dudley lost his balance and took steps. There was no way this could be anything other than either a jump ball or a foul on the Villanova player (it looked like a pretty good tie-up to me, so it should have been a jump ball.) But the officials chose to make a bad call instead.

Now, this didn't cost BC the game. It hurt their chances of winning, but they missed way too many free throws. Had they made one of those missed, they would have won. Instead, they lost in overtime. But everyone always remembers the bad calls (or, as in my case, at least 1 of 2).

The second game I did not watch, so I haven't got much to comment on. I picked Georgetown, but wouldn't have been surprised either way. Since I believe Billy Donovan to be the anti-Christ, I hope Villanova advances to the final four.

Washington

Didn't see any of the George Mason-WSU game, either. Didn't really care. Not surprised either way in this one, too, but I expected GMU to maybe pull it out since they were playing near home. And they did.

Connecticut continues to play uninspired for much of the game and then pull out a win. Actually, I didn't see it, either, but I have to assume. I read about a goal-tending non-call in UConn's favor that may have cost Washington the game. But the only highlights I saw were of Washington fouling when up by four, giving UConn a three-point play, then giving up a three at the end to send it to overtime. They should have won it anyway. Nevertheless, Uconn moves on.

Final thoughts

I think the regional finals could all be very good games. Since a new round is starting, I figure I'll go ahead and pick again.

Atlanta Every team that has beaten Duke in the sweet 16 during the Krzyzewski era has advanced to the final four. That's 5 times prior to this year. LSU could make it a sixth, but I think Texas just may pull this out, so I'm going with them.

Oakland I picked UCLA to reach the final four in my original bracket, before switching it to Pitt, and I picked them the other day, so I'll stick with them. UCLA advances.

Minneapolis I realize there's a very good chance Florida will win this game, but I just can't pick them. Now that BC's gone, I'll have to go with Villanova.

Washington I can't think of a better story than George Mason, whose presence in the tournament was questioned by many, reaching Indianapolis. But I just don't know if they can do it one more time, even against a UConn time that will likely leave the door open for them much of the game. As much as it hurts to say this, I think Connecticut will keep going.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?