everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

Dance : day ten - final

After such a great first two weeks, the NCAA tournament really ended with a thud at the final four. After two boring blowouts on Saturday came yet another boring blowout last night, as Florida beat UCLA without much difficulty. I didn't even watch the second half. I was exhausted from a long weekend (actually, I guess it was a short weekend since we lost an hour) and with the game apparently decided already, I went to bed at halftime. I recorded the second half in case it turned into a game, but now see no reason to go back and watch it.

Random stuff:
  • Now we have to endure a couple of days of stupid headlines like "Noah doubt about it" (ESPN) and "Chomping Block" (SI). I'm sure there are many more.
  • Wasn't UCLA supposed to have the better defense?
  • It seemed evident early on that Donovan was going to be a very good coach someday, and it's not surprising that he's gotten to this point now. I still don't like him (Pitino begat Donovan, plus I can't forgive him for 2000), but he just moved from being considered a good coach to a very good coach. Some will see he's moved to great coach, but I still think it will take a second title for him to move to "great coach." Or, at least more time and more success, even if he never got the second title. But I believe that will eventually happen. If most of these guys are back next year, it could happen then.
  • Of course, his next title may not happen at Florida. I don't doubt he'll be back next year, but I must wonder, will he will stay at Florida for the long haul? Especially if a "basketball school" came calling? More specifically, if, say, Tubby Smith were to leave Kentucky in the near future and they gave Billy a call? If I were in charge at Kentucky, he'd be the first guy I'd call when Tubby leaves. Hey, if I were in charge, I'd probably be calling him today - Tubby leaving or not. If he stays, Florida could become one of the great programs of the next 10 or 20 years. If another "basketball school" calls, he might go, depending on the school, but I would think he would definitely consider leaving for Kentucky. And Kentucky would be insane not to at least ask.
  • There's also the Big East possibility. Anyone up there looking for a coach should be calling him, too. That's where he's from, that's where he played, and the Big East is a basketball league full of basketball schools. He would get to coach against coaching legends like Jim Boeheim, Jim Calhoun and his old mentor Rick Pitino, instead of names like Mark Gottfried, Rick Stansbury and Stan Heath. I say he would certainly consider a Big East job as well.
  • CBS has got to find some people better than Greg Gumble, Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis. Actually, I don't mind Davis that much, but the other two have to go. And when is ESPN going to unload Digger Phelps - who knows nothing - and Doug Gottlieb - who knows less than Digger? We need some quality people here, folks. And don't even get me started on Jim Nantz...
  • I heard a week or so ago that Noah had already said he was returning to school next year. I've already seen an article this morning with the headline something like "Noah in no hurry to decide future." Translation: He's leaving.
  • Noah was listed 14th on last week's update at NBAdraft.net, and I suspect he'll move up when it's updated (today, I believe.) He's not a guy who has to worry about money, but I suspect as a lottery pick, he'll move on.
  • Speaking of the mock draft, Tyrus Thomas of LSU shot up to #1 last week after the regional. I'll be interested to see if he falls (and how far) after not showing up at the final four. Glen Davis was around 19th, so his performance likely won't make a huge difference, but he's already stated that he's returning anyway.
  • Wally Hall is an idiot. Yes, everyone in Arkansas knows this, but I've read a few of his articles in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette sports section over the last couple of weeks, and felt compelled to say it again.
Well, that's all I've got. I still plan to reflect on Duke's season and the careers of Redick and Williams, probably later in the week. I still have some comments I've been meaning to post.

I suspect the women's game tonight will be much more interesting than was the men's. Obviously, I hope to see Duke win it, but it should be a tough game, and it won't be over at halftime, like all of the men's final four games were. Of course, the best part about the game will be that Ivory Latta and her teammates will have to watch it at home.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?