everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Saturday, January 07, 2006

 

Mockingbird, part 2

Last month I posted about the upcoming Derek Webb album Mockingbird. It was released on December 26 and I have listened to it several times now. I promised more comments once I'd heard it, so here's what I think about it.

One thing Webb has done on his first two solo albums is write lyrics that are sometimes controversial, but certainly make you think. It's not the typical cheerleader-for-Jesus songwriting that you hear from a lot of Christian music. He continues to do so on this his third solo disc, writing about issues of real life and, often, issues that other Christian artists seem unwilling (or unable) to discuss - issues like politics, war, poverty and the lifestyle of American Christians.

I read the following elsewhere (and now I've forgotten the source) where Webb discusses the album title:

"There's only one bird that doesn't have its' own song. That's the mockingbird. I don't want to have my own song. I want to mimic the songs of Christ. I want to speak only where He speaks and be silent where He is silent."
The first song that stands out is "A New Law." From the point of view of someone who doesn't want to put forth the effort to think for themselves, instead following others without questioning them, Webb sings:

don't teach me about politics and government
just tell me who to vote for
don't teach me about truth and beauty
just label my music

i don't wanna know if the answers aren't easy
so just bring it down from the mountain to me
i want a new law
He also touches on the theme of our attitudes towards so-called enemies, which comes up in later songs as well, with the line "don't teach me about loving my enemies". There are some things, he suggests, that Christians don't want to talk or hear about - in other words, we want to remain comfortable without being challenged. Webb, however, is talking about those very things.

In "A King and a Kingdom" he writes that confronts the blind patriotism that often seems prevalent among American Christians, or at least those who tend to vote Republican. America is not "God's country" or even a "Christian nation" as many often think. Webb declares his allegiance lies elsewhere first:

There are two great lies that i've heard:
"the day you eat of the fruit of that tree you will not surely die"
and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican
and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him

my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood
it's to a king & a kingdom
And later, he suggests maybe our enemies are not who we think:

but nothing unifies like a common enemy
and we've got one, sure as hell
but he may be living in your house
he may be raising up your kids
he may be sleeping with your wife
oh no, he may not look like you think
"Rich Young Ruler" is a hard one to listen to, as he sings about our own wealth, the poverty of others, and our response, pointing out that instead of responding like Jesus' would, we've instead removed ourselves from where the problem exists:

poverty is so hard to see
when it's only on your tv
and twenty miles across town
where we're all living so good
that we moved out of Jesus' neighborhood
where he's hungry and not feeling so good
from going through our trash
He suggests our version of following Jesus is more about rule-keeping, saying "we speak the language and keep all the rules, even a few we made up...i don't sleep around and i don't steal." Jesus, on the other hand, asks much more of us, yet seems to expect the same response from us that he got from the man in Mark 10:

come on and follow me
but sell your house, sell your SUV
sell your stocks, sell your security
and give it to the poor
... i want the things you just can't give me
In "My Enemies Are Men Like Me" he takes on war and capital punishment:

peace by way of war is like purity by way of fornication
it's like telling someone murder is wrong
and then showing them by way of execution

how can i kill the ones i'm supposed to love
my enemies are men like me
And continues these themes in "Love Is Not Against The Law", and wondering if we'll be willing to love our enemies:

are we defending life
when we just pick and choose
lives acceptable to lose
and which ones to defend

'cause you cannot choose your friends
but you choose your enemies
and what if they were one
one and the same
could you find a way
to love them both the same
to give them your name
Apparently unconcerned about what people might think of him, Webb continues to write pointed and controversial songs. Even if you don't agree with everything he says, they will likely make you think about issues that are largely absent in most lyrics that come from the Christian music industry - issues that need to be discussed by Christians, particularly American Christians, and not only from the standard, "white middle-class Republican" point of view.

One way I would sum up his lyrics - on this album and his earlier works - is that they are asking questions about what it means to follow Jesus today, and attempting to prompt dialogue among those of us who claim to follow Christ. I highly recommend this album, along with his two previous ones as well.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?