everything that's on my mind

(as if there's not already enough people doing this)

Thursday, April 13, 2006

 

A king and a kingdom

I went over to my daughter's school this morning for chapel, as it was "Awards Day" and she was receiving an award. So, I went over the see her accept it. As I've noticed before when I attended her chapel, they always say the Pledge of Allegiance at some point during chapel. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. I'm not against teaching children to be patriotic, but I also don't want them to learn blind patriotism, either. It seems there are too many Christians today who believe that the Republican party is God's party, and George W. Bush and other Republicans can do no wrong. No matter what questionable actions these people take, some stand behind them regardless. The same is true of people on both sides, but it seems Christians are more often than not aligned with "the Right" (this is, at least, my perception, and may not be reality.)

In fact, the whole idea of "pledging allegiance" to the flag or this country doesn't quite sit well with me anyway. I love this country and am glad I was born into it. I am grateful for the freedoms we have, particularly our religious freedom. However, while I do believe that God wants us to be good citizens in our country and obey the laws while they do not conflict with His, I'm not so sure that He desires for us to pledge allegiance to anyone or anything except Himself. I'm reminded of Derek Webb's song, "A King and a Kingdom", from his newest disc Mockingbird:

my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood
it's to a king & a kingdom
Is it wrong, in a Christian worship setting, like chapel this morning, to mix patriotism and allegiance to an earthly kingdom in with our worship of God and our allegiance to His kingdom? I have no problem with teaching good citizenship or patriotism. However, I don't want to teach my children that America is "God's country" and is always right in it's actions. Sometimes, the government and the people being governed are just wrong and sinful, and as Christians we must recognize it and oppose that which is contrary to God's expectations of us as followers of Christ (regardless of whether or not whatever political party we might align ourselves with chooses to agree.)

Will the children at this Christian school, somewhere down the line, forget that their first allegiance is to be to God, not America? Probably not. But I'm still a little uncomfortable with things like American flags in church buildings, or singing songs about America in a worship setting (as sometimes happens with churches, particularly on the Sunday prior to July 4), or pledging allegiance to an earthly kingdom. God is my King, and his kingdom is where my citizenship lies first and foremost. Sometimes, because of how I see others defending the earthly kingdom of America, I have to wonder if they feel the same way.

I think about this type of thing a lot these days, and haven't completely thought it all through, so I'm sure it will come back up again. Perhaps in early July...



Other blogs

It's been a busy week and I haven't posted anything until today, plus I'm leaving town this evening and won't have a computer for the next few days. I was planning to try to write something Easter-related prior to the weekend, but I haven't had time and won't be able to now, so perhaps when I'm back home on Sunday I'll make some time. However, I thought I'd point to a few other good posts I've read in recent days from a few of the blogs I read regularly (not necessarily Easter-related, though).

Homosexuality : from Mike Cope. Be sure and check out the comments as well, as there is more discussion there.

Harry Potter and Easter : from Grant English. "Jesus takes the ordinary and makes it extraordinary."

The Judas Monologue : from Keith Brenton. Interesting and creative. I've always wondered what was going through Judas' mind.

Jesus Excepted : from Scott Freeman. Do we qualify Jesus' words, especially the ones we don't like to hear?
I'm also planning to start reading The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian McLaren this weekend, so I may be posting some about that soon. I've seen a number of people (who received pre-release copies) posting reviews of the book on their blogs, and I'm looking forward to reading it as well.

Comments:
The pledge in chapel sometimes gives me the willies, too. Frankly, I'm glad that at my daughter's school - which is housed at our church, where I work - the flags on the podium are hidden from view during the weekend.

Thanks for the link - I'm in awesome company there!

If I were a little more egotistical, I'd quote the short fellow among his tall colleagues: "I feel like a dime among nickels!"
 
There are some of us out here that might support Bush simply because the other options are extremes in directions that we don't want to go. It is a choice of the lesser of two evils.

I for one love the pledge in school. Balance in understanding allegiance should come from parents.
 
Thanks for the comment, Lee. Two things: one, I voted for Bush - twice. I didn't want to go in the direction of Gore or Kerry, either. My concern is those that appear (to me, anyway) to support everything he does, everything the Republican party does, regardless of whether it's good. That I'm not willing to do.

Second, my dislike was not of the pledge in school necessarily, but rather the pledge during chapel at a Christian school. That, to me, is equivalent to saying the pledge during a Christian worship gathering, which I don't believe is appropriate.

Perhaps I didn't state things well enough the first time, but hopefully that makes it a little more clear.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?